MY Glala (previously Doris (1915-21) Grey Mist (1921-23) Doris (1923-28) Grey Mist (1929-34) Cupid (1935-36) Glala (1936-2003) Mahalia (2003-07) Glala (2007 – ))
Glala is a classic motor yacht built by A.R Luke before the First World War. She has an eventful history that includes service with the Royal Navy and the National Fire Service in the 1940s.
The opportunity to own a beautiful and unique Edwardian motor yacht, a vessel in the National Historic Fleet and one of the largest of the Dunkirk little ships, was too good to pass up. We bought Glala in 2017 when she was in a sorry state. Although a lot of work had been done her restoration/rebuild had stalled and she had been abandoned with hatches open to the weather.
She is a restoration project. The major repairs have been done: the hull is sound, she has new solid-teak decks, most of the superstructure is restored, the engines have been rebuilt. There is a lot more to do, the exterior needs finishing and she needs to be fitted out.
We are approaching the work with a view to conservancy of what’s left of her original structure rather than total restoration. The work already carried out by the previous owner includes but is in no way limited to;
- Frame and rib replacement where required
- Significant works to the stern area including stern post replacement and new laminated aft deck beam shelf replacement
- All deck beams replaced
- Superstructure from the engine room back rebuilt in solid hardwood
- New laid, recycled-old growth Teak deck (1 -1/2″ thick) and new Iroko covering boards
- Engines/gearboxes overhauled and sited in place
- All of this work can be seen by clicking on the tab ‘restoration work‘ at the top of the page.
Glala is 78 feet long, 43 tons (GRT) and traditionally built out of teak and oak. She is powered by two Gardner 6LXB engines. On special occasions Glala wears the flags of the National Historic Fleet and the Association of Dunkirk Little Ships.
This website documents her history and the work we are doing to restore her.
We hope that you will follow us on our journey!